Incoming Vets Checklist

Main Content

Thinking about attending SIU Carbondale? Great! Our staff has designed a step-by-step checklist specifically for Veterans.

Contact Admissions

The Admissions Office is your first point of contact. To learn more about the University, take a virtual tour, or schedule a campus visit, contact an admissions counselor by calling 618/536-4405, by emailing, or by visiting their website at


Apply up to one year in advance. To complete the application process you will need to submit a $40 non-refundable application fee, supply us with official transcripts for all post-secondary work, and provide the Member 4 copy of your DD-214. If you have earned fewer than 26 transferable credit hours after high school, you will also need to submit an official high school transcript or GED scores, and if you are under 21 years old, we will also need your ACT or SAT scores.


Forward all transcripts from previous colleges and military training for review. Veterans Services strongly recommends submitting military transcripts to the University for evaluation. Military technical training earns course credit in many cases. Veterans may find their military transcripts at

A veteran who completed one year of active duty and earned an honorable discharge will receive 6 credit hours for physical education requirements.

Transcripts should be sent to:

Transfer Student Services
Mailcode 4701
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale, IL 62901

  • Immunization Record

You can obtain a copy of your military immunization record at:

Sign in with your CAC (we have CAC readers at SIU Carbondale Veteran Services) or your DoD Self Service Login (same login as for e-benefits)

Hover the arrow over "My Profile" tab and select Immunizations - you can request the printer friendly view and print a copy

  • DD-214

DD-214 can be used to obtain up to 6 credit hours, and my be necessary to process your GI Bill education benefits

You can obtain a copy of your Military Records, including a DD-214 at  

Sign in with your CAC (we have CAC readers at SIU Carbondale Veteran Services) or your DoD Self Service Login

Hover over the "Manage" tab and select "Documents and Records"

Select "Military Personnel File"

You Must first "Request your OMPF Information" then within 24 hours the information will be available

  • Active Duty Members

You may be eligible for Active Duty Alternate Tuition Rate which, as of Fall 2019, charges Tuition at $250 per credit hour with no additional fees, which matches maximum Military Tuition Assistance Rate.  For questions about the alternate tuition rate, contact extended campus at

The University may request a copy of your Military ID Card.  There are authorized exceptions to the general prohibition against making photocopies, See specifically Enclosure 3, paragraph 2a "Examples of authoirzed photocopying include photocopying of DoD ID cards to facilitate medical care processing, check cashing, voting, tax matters, compliance with appendix 501 of title 50, U.S.C. (also known as "The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act"), or administering other military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries." 

After you are admitted

Be sure and check out University College at and call 618/453-4351 for advisement, registration and course selection. The University College’s First-Year Advisement Services office will help put your goals into focus and help you develop a plan to accomplish them.

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

You’ve also earned your benefits. Be sure to apply for Veterans Administration Educational Benefits at our Veterans Educational Services Office in Woody Hall, Room 381. Before applying for benefits please ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork to submit with your application. An additional handout listing the required documents is available.


Veterans Services recommends that all student veterans apply for financial aid, and we are here to assist you in applying for federal student financial aid (FAFSA). Your recent separation/deployment may have earned you the right to receive federal grants to assist you financially while you are pursuing your career goals through higher education.

FAFSA applications are available for online completion at Once you have submitted your FAFSA application, you might wish to complete a Special Circumstances Form for a reevaluation of your FAFSA application. This form, submitted on behalf of the University, takes into consideration that you recently separated from the military, but can only be used once in a student’s academic career. We recommend you discuss this option with a financial aid counselor.

More information about SIU Carbondale’s Financial Aid services is available at the University’s Financial Aid Office; contact them at 618/453-4334, or visit the website at

Disability Support Services

Also, be sure and speak with a Coordinator from the University's nationally recognized Disability Support Services if any services are needed.  Disability Support Services can assist student veterans who received a disability rating from the military or the Veterans Administration, but also may be able to provide assistance to student veterans with disabilities which are not service connected.  More information is available at Disability Support Services at 618-453-5738.  DSS is located in the Student Heath Center, Suite 220.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.